As a community action agency, it is our duty and purpose to serve the community and keep our employees and clients of all resources available to aid in the recovery process of Hurricane Florence.

What help is available?
People in 27 counties that have been declared a federal disaster can apply for help buying food through a program called the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP).

Where is this help available?
This help is available in the following 27 counties: Bladen, Beaufort, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Lenoir, Johnston, Jones, Lee, Moore, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland, Wayne and Wilson.

Who is eligible?
To be eligible, a person must: • Live in one of the 27 counties listed above. • Have suffered losses/damages related to Hurricane Florence, such as damage to property, loss of income, or food loss. • Have proof of identity • Have proof of residency (if available) • Have income and resources below certain levels. • Not currently be receiving help buying food through the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) program. People receiving FNS can also get extra help buying food, but do not need to fill out a D-SNAP application. They can get more information about how to get the extra help at….

How much do people get? Eligible households will receive a one-time benefit on a special debit card (called an EBT card) to help buy food. The exact amount will depend on household size, but a family of one would receive $192, a family of four would receive $640 and larger families would receive more.

How do I apply?

Eligible residents who want to apply must do so in person at their county’s designated application site. You can get the application here:
• English:
• Spanish:…/fo…/dss/dss_spanish/dss-1432sp.pdf
• Other applications:

You can bring the application with you, or you will be given an application when you arrive. Residents will meet with county Department of Social Services staff to process their application. If eligible, an EBT card will be given to you to buy food.

Who should apply?

Only heads of households or an authorized representative can apply. People who may have a disability or are physically unable to go in person to apply for help can complete this form and send an authorized representative in their place.

How long does it take?
Please plan in advance for wait times when you get to the office. County officials will do everything they can to process applications quickly, but many people are expected to apply.

Can I apply online?
No. You must apply in person at a designated application site.

What should I bring to apply?
Bring proof of identification of the person applying for food assistance or the identification of a person applying for food assistance for you. Examples include: • Photo ID or any other document that verifies your identity • Proof of Residency (if possible): o You can use utility bills, tax bills, or insurance policies, or a collateral (friend, employer, pastor, etc.) • Social Security number and date of birth for each household member – if available (do not need Social Security Cards, just the number)

How long do I have to apply?

Applications will be accepted beginning Friday, Sept. 28, 2018, through Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018. Note that application sites will be closed on Sunday, Sept. 30.

Once I apply, how long until I can use this help to buy food?
If you are eligible, you will receive your one-time EBT card benefit on the same day you apply, so you will only need to visit the office once. You will be able to use your card to buy food within 3 days of receiving it. Where can I use the benefits? You can use your benefits to buy food at any store that accepts EBT cards, such as grocery stores or convenience stores.

What can I buy?
In addition to food, you may also purchase infant formula, ice, and drinking water. Prepared hot foods may be bought in stores that accept EBT cards until Oct. 31, 2018. You cannot purchase paper items, soap, vitamins, diapers, medicine, pet foods, tobacco or alcoholic beverages.

What if I am told I am not eligible, but believe the decision was a mistake?
Any household denied these benefits is entitled to request a fair hearing. You can request a hearing at your county department of social services.

Thank you and be safe.

Next Board Meeting

The next SCFS, Inc. Board of Directors meeting is July 9, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. The location is Robeson Community College, Workforce Dev Bldg 18, BB&T Conf Room, 5160 Fayetteville Rd., Lumberton NC 28360. See you there.